Monday 29 October 2012

ASDA

Hello,

I am a regular shopper at ASDA - it's my local supermarket, and is cheap and easy to get to. However, I have learned some things about the supermarket this week which have put me off totally!

First, the recipe for their soya milk (used in this blog to make the Vegan Lasagne) includes Vitamin D3. I was horrified to learn that this is derived from lanolin, which in turn is derived from sheep's wool, making it unsuitable for vegans! Imagine making a soya milk which is not suitable for vegans - appalling!

Secondly, they have started changing some of their recipes which were previously vegan to include milk. Two items which I regularly buy (because I'm a little vegan piggy) are ASDA's dark chocolate and bourbon biscuits, both from the "Chosen by You" range. It's lucky that I check regularly, because last time I went shopping, I found that the choco contains lactose now, and the bourbons have a new part on the packaging, which exclaims proudly "Now with Milk!". So there's two of my favourites scratched off my shopping list!

I'm sure that ASDA think they are doing us a favour by making the items a bit more "luxurious". However, they need to remember that they are excluding vegans, not to mention those with allergies. I have written a letter which I'll post tomorrow complaining about this. If you are an ASDA shopper, even a casual one, I would recommend that you do the same. Other supermarkets are catching up with us by starting to label their products as suitable for vegans, whereas ASDA seem to be taking a step backwards! They won't know that we aren't happy unless we tell them, so dust off your laptop/typewriter/printing press and get writing!

I'll let you know if/when I get a reply.

Plenty of vegan good wishes,
Callum

No comments:

Post a Comment